Sunday, September 13, 2009

West GA Futbol Club Cheetahs


This year I decided that Elle would switch from Upward to County soccer. Douglas County and Carroll County merged this summer to form West Georgia Futbol Club. I figured if Elle decided this is a sport she wanted to stick with and excelled in, we should leave Upward. Upward was great. Very well organized. Much more so than WGAFC, but part of it is the merger. WGAFC has Academy and Select teams (the main reason for leaving), but Elle won't be eligible until U-10.

I am coaching Elle's team again this year. I let her decide the team name - the Cheetahs. I pushed hard for the Turtles or Squirrels. There are only 5 kids on each team (9 total). Each team only has one girl. I figured that it would be difficult for Elle to run with the boys, but she has done well.

This Saturday the Cheetahs played the Thundercats. It was a humbling first 10 minutes. I think we were down 5 or 6 zip before we finally scored. The Thundercats didn't have a girl playing this weekend, which didn't help! The good news is that we played them even in the second half, the bad news is we lost 9-5. Oh wait, just like Upward, we aren't supposed to keep score! I am not a fan of that or the fact we don't use goalies at this age (Upward does). We also don't have throw in's or goal kicks. Oh well.

Here is to another great season, Elle. I am very proud of you!

2 comments:

Annie said...

OMG. She looks JUST LIKE YOU. And she is getting tall, looks like. Our league plays by same rules, sounds like.

Jason said...

Did I mention they have really cool adidas uniforms? They even have an alternate colored jersey!